? What is a verb in English


.A verb is a word that is used in a sentence to show an action

.There are many types of verbs in English 


. Action Verbs 


. Stative Verbs 


. Dynamic Verbs 


. Linking Verbs 


. Modal Verbs


. Transitive Verbs 


. Intransitive Verbs 


. Regular Verbs 


. Irregular Verbs 


. Phrasal Verbs






Common Mistakes in Using Verbs in English


Rule 1. ‘To’ is a part of the phrasal verb, “look forward to”. So using a bare infinitive (meet) in the following example is wrong 

Examples 

Wrong: I am looking forward to meet you 

Right: I am looking forward to meeting you

Rule 2. Some certain verbs in English are followed by a gerund, and not by an infinitive. So “Avoid to make” is wrong in the following example

Examples

Wrong: I avoid to make mistakes in English

Right: I avoid making mistakes in English 

Rule 3. Some certain verbs are followed by an infinitive, and not by a gerund. So “want eating” in the following example is wrong

Examples

Wrong: I want eating pizza

Right: I want to eat pizza

(Rule 4. Some verbs are followed by a bare infinitive (infinitive without ‘to

So “make students to work hard” in the following example is wrong

Examples

Wrong: Some teachers make students to work hard for their examinations

Right: Some teachers make students work hard for their examinations

Rule 5. Some certain verbs are not generally used in present progressive tense. So “believing in God” and  “thinking” in the following examples are wrong

Examples 

Wrong: I'm believing in God

Right: I believe in God

Wrong: I am thinking he is right

Right: I think he is right

Exercise 1

Find out the error in the following examples

. I'm thinking he is wrong

. I am used to take milk in the morning 

. I try to avoid to make mistakes in grammar

. I've decided going with you 

. Let him to work

Answer keys

. I think he is wrong

. I am used to taking milk in the morning 

. I try to avoid making mistakes in grammar

. I've decided to go with you

. Let him work






Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar